Second Life Center
The RISD Second Life Center is an on campus recycling program. It provides a place for students and professors to bring materials and supplies that they have finished with but they feel might be useful to others.
Participants may also trade their items in exchange for items in the trailer. You can find us on the RISD intranet page as well:
Second Life Website
2ndlife [at] risd.edu
 1. MATERIALS WE ACCEPT
We are basically looking for any materials that another student could utilize. As a rule of thumb I say: anything that Salvation Army will not take -- i.e. art supplies of any kind, wood, metals, plastics... People come up with some crazy stuff, and other students love it. We accept almost anything that is not extremely flammable and you think other people might need or want.
Such as, but not limited to:
- Paper and cardboard products of reasonable size
- Usable metal and wood scraps
- Art supplies
- Foam and fabric
- Reasonably sized furniture
- Anything else you might find dumpster-diving
 2. WHAT YOU CAN FIND AT 2ND LIFE
What we have in there now is an ever changing selections of awesome things.
- Some of the basics are:
- styrofoam, file folders, message boards, plastic bottles, empty containers, various used paints, charcoal and accessories, bags of clay, film reels, 16mm film, yarn spindles, sturdy cardboard tubes, various dowels and metal rods, blank flags, soda crates
- Rolls of:
- paper, fabric, plastic bag tube, contact paper, cellophane (sorta)
- Some household amenities such as:
- dishes, pots, utensils, lights, faux plants, shelving cubes, fabric scraps, buttons and zippers, strings, clothing patterns, laundry baskets, drapes...
 3. OPEN (Spring 2008)
- Mondays 11am-1pm
- Wednesdays 11am-1pm
- Saturdays 1pm-4pm
Come bring your extra materials and exchange for what is in the trailer. No extra? Have a weird assignment due? Take what we have and keep us in mind for a later date.
Just got a shipment in? Recently raided a dumpster? Need to get that stuff out of your dorm room before your parents come? Just email
OPEN UPON REQUEST
Second Life is a student run organization and depends on you for it to function. We are currently looking for students with a variety of available hours to open the trailer more frequently.
If you are interested please email us your name, major, phone number, and available hours. Even an hour per week could help. ~ 2ndlife [at] risd.edu
 4. LOCATION
The Second Life Center is in a large gray corrugated metal shipping container, basically in the back corner of a parking lot by the dumpsters.
Located in the RISD Illustration Studies Building (ISB) parking lot. That is at the intersection of Washington Place and North Main Street, Providence.